First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
- Maintain HSE standards and ensure strict compliance within the area of operation.
- The role has accountability for the optimisation of the metallurgical process including steel ball management and power consumption.
- Define and implement the comminution metallurgical process strategy.
- Consistently deliver and exceed the main KPI’s of float feed particle size, crusher CSS optimisation, comminution power optimisation and maintenance of fully functional expert system.
- Directly participate in the daily to monthly work activities of the processing plant, serving as technical support to operations personnel to enhance performance.
- Monitor, analyse, control and report on process performance indicators (including in-plant sampling & results).
- Work with limited supervision to maintain very high standards of metallurgical analysis.
- Conduct troubleshooting and detailed data analysis (ie using PI) to identify root causes and corrective actions for poor plant performance
- Coordinate Milling surveys, plant field trials and metallurgical test-work to evaluate circuit performance and recommend ways of improving performance.
- Document and maintain a database of all plant trials, including parameter changes and plant responses.
- Maintain and routinely communicate a database of critical metallurgical values (e.g. spigot size, CSS).
- Issue to and follow up on Daily Operating Instructions to the shift teams on key process parameters, trials, tasks and considerations Constantly seek out and implement innovative solutions.
- Review plant design, scope and develop justification for capital upgrades.
- Define and monitor utilisation of the Comminution ‘expert’ control system.
- Interact with the Processing Operations team to ensure high compliance to customer requirements.
- Liaise with Processing and Mining teams on blasting, grinding & crushing performance
- Own the process functionality and utilisation of critical in-line instrumentation & measurements (ie PSI)
- Consistently deliver and exceed expectations.
- Supervise and manage the activities and performance of subordinate staff though development and training programs.
- Contribute to the annual Technical section budget/forecasts.
- Control, report and reduce operational costs.
- Implement FQM Way culture across the Analytical Laboratory team – “Smarter, Bolder, Driven, Together”
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Chief Metallurgist.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- A Tertiary Qualification in Chemical Engineering, Extractive Metallurgy or Mineral Processing or related field.
- Commitment to SHEC performance.
- Good leadership and motivational skills, and get work done through others.
- Good cognitive and analytical skills.
- Advanced skill in calculating and ability to analyze and understand highly complex and statistical metallurgical data.
- Strong understanding of complex metallurgical information, process improvement and control strategies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and able to assemble data and provide clear and accurate operational performance reports in both an upward and downward direction.
- Computer fluency is essential.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Minimum 5 years working as a Metallurgist or equivalent leadership role in large complex metallurgical process operations.
- Direct experience in plant technical metallurgist / engineering roles with specific experience in base metal crushing & milling (SAG/Ball)
- Specific technical knowledge of base metal and related analysis.
- Experience in metallurgical process operations of a large copper concentrator highly regarded.
Fluency in English is required and proficiency in Spanish highly regarded. A willingness to undertake language training desirable.
- Proven results in the management of work including time management
- Disposition to be a strong team leader
- Proven strength in deliver of quality service
- Results Driven.
- Proven results in building strategic work relationships
- High degree of stress tolerance.
- Energetic in approach
- Proven success in planning and organizing
- Strength in cultural adaptability
Cobre Panama is a remote site. The position is offered as Residential or FIFO with a strong preference for the incumbent to be residential.
Safety and Environment
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Ensure all Safety and Environmental incidents are addressed & reported promptly.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings
In "How did you hear about this opportunity" please select iMineros