First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
- Maintain HSE standards and ensure strict compliance within the process plant control room.
- The role has accountability for equipment and operations personnel of the control room.
- Direct the overall macro operating strategy of the processing plant, coordinating and integrating all the components to maximise production and minimise costs, while ensuring operational sustainability.
- Maintain a very high standard of control room housekeeping.
- Working closely with Maintenance, Processing and Technical leaders to coordinate and prioritise macro and possibly conflicting activities, to optimise the overall output of the plant.
- Coordinate and hold to account the Shift Controllers for the relentless drive for maximised copper, molybdenum and gold production.
- Consistently deliver and exceed the main KPI's of plant throughput, utilisation and recovery.
- Lead daily operations of the control room and personnel to ensure optimised plant utilization, production and quality.
- Monitor, control and report on performance indicators, plant activities and operational shortfalls.
- Ensure the control room team operates the plant 'expert' control system, maintaining high utilisation.
- Ensure the control room team control and operates the critical in-line instrumentation & measurements (ie PSI & OSA), for real-time performance optimisation.
- Ensure the control room team accurately and thoroughly accounts for a production loss event system.
- Manage, track and report continuous improvement activities within the control room to deliver improved operational performance.
- Ensure strong real-time interaction with Mining Operations and Mining Technical on ore feed rate and quality for plant optimization.
- Ensure the proper diagnosis of plant defects by the Shift Controllers and the implementation of corrective measures.
- Ensure short term maintenance schedules (both maintenance and production tasks) are in place to deliver and exceed the production targets.
- Coordinate the processing aspects of major plant shutdowns (Across the different production sections).
- Support maintenance in the delivery of their tasks and equipment reliability.
- Define, prioritize, obtain approval for and implement capital improvement projects;
- Lead the control room team, composed of expatriates and nationals, to consistently deliver and exceed expectations.
- Maintain staff development and training programs, particularly skills transfer and coaching to the national staff.
- Identify and actively manage succession planning and coverage for key roles.
- Contribute to the quarterly and annual operations production budget/forecasts.
- Prepare the control room annual operations budget and provide quarterly forecasts;
- Control, report and reduce operational costs, and ensure cost consideration taken with all decisions.
- Implement FQM Way culture in the Control Room team - "Bolder, Smarter, Driven, Together."
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Manager Processing Plant.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
A Tertiary Qualification in Extractive Metallurgy, Mineral Processing or related field.
Post graduate technical qualification highly regarded.
- Commitment to SHEC performance.
- Good leadership and motivational skills, and get work done through others.
- Excellent cognitive and analytical skills for identifying process shortfalls, bottlenecks and implementing metallurgical testing.
- Possess ability to analyze and understand complex metallurgical information.
- Excellent understanding of complex metallurgical information, process improvement and control strategies for large-scale, continuous operating mineral processing plants.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and able to assemble data and provide clear and accurate operational performance reports in both an upward and downward direction.
- Computer fluency is essential.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- A minimum of 10 years experience in technical and/or operational roles of process operations in large, complex metallurgical process operations within a multinational mining company.
- Experience required in base metal crushing/milling & flotation circuits.
- Specific exposure to Cu, Mo, Au flowsheets and plant control is highly regarded.
In "How did you hear about this opportunity" please select iMineros